In April 2012, the School & Family team at the Center for Literacy, Education & Employment began supporting a new statewide Common Core State Standards initiative of the Tennessee Department of Education.
To begin this initiative, 205 Math Common Core Coaches were hired and trained in April and May 2012 (see coaches pictured at right). These Coaches then trained over 11,000 teachers across the state of Tennessee in the Summer of 2012. Quite successful, this initiative continues with Regional Leadership trainings for all TN administrators held in all subject areas January – May of 2013, and more educator trainings this summer.
In fact, on March 8, the School & Family team had the privilege of attending a banquet welcoming the 2013 Common Core Coaches: over 700 educators hired to train and be trained in the areas of K-12 Math, K-12 English/Language Arts, 6-12 Science, 6-12 Social Studies and 9-12 CTE, as well as about 100 administrators hired to train other administrators in the state. Currently, there are over 20,000 educators registered to attend training sites this summer!
The School & Family team has provided ongoing, high quality Event Planning and Program Logistics support for this initiative such as:
- processing coaches’ monthly stipends & reimbursements for travel expenses (300 persons per month!)
- arranging event venues and negotiating logistics f or each location
- printing and shipping materials (tens of thousands of copies) as well as ordering and shipping similar numbers of supplies to dozens of locations and multiple simultaneous sessions
- providing onsite support (registration, technology, materials, etc.) at 42 training sites over a 3 week period (Summer 2012), and 75 training sites over a 5 month period (Jan – May 2013).
- assisting with other logistical tasks, such as processing registration data, web site support (www.TNCore.org and tncoresupport.org/ ), conversion and distribution of video files, etc.
For more information and to register for the summer trainings visit: http://tncore.org/register_for_a_tncore_training/common_core_summer_training.aspx
We are excited about this summer’s trainings and hope to see you there!